Competing and Touring

Jun 4, 2012,

I finally get a day to rest after the last two weeks of running around Europe.  Although I did get some time to be a tourist during the trip, I spent most of the time competing, traveling to and from tournaments and club matches.

Amsterdam train Station

After my awful night in Paris, which I described in the last post, I did in fact go to Amsterdam for a quick visit.   Partly I just could not find a hostel in Paris and partly I had a free day and figured it would be the closest I would be to Amsterdam for a long time.  So I made the three-hour train ride up for one night and spent a full day walking around and checking out the city.  Besides the uniqueness of a city that is infamous for its booming sex trade and legal drugs, I was impressed with the architecture and happy atmosphere.  Maybe the sex and drugs contribute to the happiness, but my impression of the Dutch is that in general they are a contented, attractive, and vigorous people.  What I mean is that for the most part everyone I saw on the streets appeared vibrant and healthy.  It may have been that it was just a beautiful day and the whole city was out enjoying the sunshine.  Or possibly the thriving bicycle community—literally there are more bikes than cars—keeps people in shape and feeling well.  But I was struck by how positive and youthful the air was.  Every person on the street probably had low blood pressure and was swimming in good cholesterol.

I’ve never been nearly run over by more bicycles than in the one day I spent in Amsterdam.

I had a very nice day and night and enjoyed getting lost in the city while exploring the network of canals and little neighborhoods.  I definitely went on a bit of a spending spree in my excitement to be a tourist.  I think I spent more in my week in Paris and Amsterdam than I had on the whole last month of my trip.  That is how it goes when you are traveling though and I have just been lucky to have had such great housing which has helped me to save for most of my time in Europe.

Out of everything I spent in Amsterdam, the best fifteen-euro investment was a bike taxi back to my hostel after an exhausting day of walking.  Besides the fact that it would have taken over an hour to walk home, it was a great experience being taken along in an open carriage, attached to a bicycle ridden by the grumpiest, most impatient cabby I could imagine.  Although he was a wiry and strong little dude rather than fat and

It seemed like everyone in the city was outside enjoying the sunshine and relaxing in the park on a warm afternoon.

smelly, I could totally picture him in a yellow sedan navigating New York traffic as he shouted at people and laid on his horn, which in this case was a little Mickey Mouse bell that seemed to mock his displeasure with the multitude of people walking in the bike lane.  It didn’t stop him from using it though and I couldn’t help but chuckle in the back seat as we zipped around corners and cut people off with no remorse.  In the end we made record time and I was happy to give him the payment for which he had worked so hard.

On the flip side, the worst fifteen euro I spent was on a two pound wheel of herbed goat cheese, which I am still carrying around with me and don’t know what to do with.  I guess I should be happy I managed to stop myself from buying the two hundred euro hammock chair or the seventy-euro enamel chess set.  But the cheese was still excessive.  I had a great trip though and it was nice to explore some before heading back to Paris to start playing the tournaments for which I had come.

TC Neuilly Sur Marne Champion

My first tournament was held in a suburb of eastern Paris called Neuilly Sur Marne.  The club was small and I staid for the weekend with the president, who had a really nice family that came to watch most of my matches.  Staying with local families is one of the best parts of playing these tournaments because I get to meet so many people and really experience the culture that I am visiting.  For the most part, if a family agrees to host me it means that they are tennis fans and that they are fairly comfortable and don’t mind me eating their food and living off them for a few days.   It is interesting to get a glimpse into how different cultures exist and relate day to day.  If I was to make a broad generalization about Europeans based on the five or six families with whom I have staid, I would say that they tend to eat more of their meals together as a family and eat out less than people in the States.  Especially lunch, which for me and most people I know has always been an on the go kind of deal.  Here though it seems that many families return to their houses for lunch together, taking the time to prepare a real meal with placemats and salad forks.  It is nice to see the bonds and time they devote to such practices, although it seems a little exhausting as well to make such a fuss.

After not hitting for a week I was nervous for the start of the tournament.  But things worked out and I was able to win through the draw and take home the winner’s check.  It was not a huge tournament but there were some good players and I definitely had to tough out a few matches.  I played the last two rounds on Tuesday and was happy to beat a crafty young kid in the semifinal. He had a dirty backhand slice that made me get low and work hard for every point.  He moved it around well and was fast and determined.  So I had to stay patient and not get frustrated playing awkward points.  I had a good strategy though that I maintained well, looping inside out forehand angles to move him off the court so I could create space to take my forehand to the open court.  Sorry for the tennis talk, but it took a lot of focus to make it through in two tough sets and even more mental energy to get up to play the finals against a man ranked even higher.  I also had to deal with some hostile crowds.  Well maybe not hostile since everyone was very nice.  But they certainly wanted their Frenchmen to win and even a crowd of thirty can feel like the world is against you.  I had my one fan though at least as the daughter of my host family came to cheer for me a little.  I was proud to make it through and it was fun to win a tournament and get a trophy as well as a little cash to help restore what I had blown in Paris and Amsterdam.  It seems I am finally a professional tennis player, living on the cash in my pocket.  So $460 was a nice payday to supplement what I had brought with me from my last two German club matches.

As soon as the award ceremony was finished I hopped in a taxi to go to the next tournament, where I was scheduled to play my first round later that night.  Luckily it was a fairly routine match at least and I was able to win quickly before heading over to my new family and next set of housing in another Parisian suburb called Saint Maur.   I lost in the semifinals of the second tournament.  I think I probably could or even should have won that one as well, but after the traveling and playing so much the day before I couldn’t get my head in it enough to fight through the soreness, exhaustion, and awful clay court that was more of a hard court with a dusting of clay on top.  It was ok though.  I was satisfied with having won one tournament at least and ready to get back to Austria for a club match Saturday before heading to Germany for another Sunday.

The streets of Vienna are infused with art and culture.

It was great to see my Austrian team again after a few weeks away.  I get along with them well since we are all of similar age.  Unfortunately I only had two nights with them, one in Vienna where one of them showed me around the city and the other in Steyr where we played our match.  I got beat pretty bad in the singles, which was my first loss in league play.  The guy was a very good Czech player who had been ranked ATP#700 a couple years ago and has been the best player in the division for the

past four seasons.  I played well actually and did not give him the match.  He just was too good for me and was able to take the ball early consistently, roping me around and exposing me a little on the clay.  I have come a long way on clay and even really like it at this point.  But I am definitely still new to it and I was not able to stay with a solid pro who grew up on the surface.  It was a good match though and enjoyable to be a part of, despite losing 6-1 6-3 and having to work hard for the games I won.

The best thing I can say about my tennis at this point is that although I may not be the best player out there, it takes a real good player to beat me, and he is going to have to hit a lot of winners and play well to do it.  That’s not to say it won’t happen or that some guys won’t be able to do it

The top of the tallest Church tower in Austria.

easily.  But I like the thought that for the most part someone has to be able to maintain a certain level to take me down.  Especially on clay where the surface is forgiving and it is hard to blow people away.  The Czech guy maintained that level and outclassed me on Saturday, which was frustrating but unavoidable.  Maybe things would be different if we played again, or a few more times.  But that day he was just too good.

At least the team still won and I contributed with a doubles win.  We were happy to win this match because our opponents had paid two foreigners to play for them.  They brought in a German to supplement the Czech, but we still managed to prevail with great doubles play and a couple good wins lower in the lineup.  Halfway through the season we are still in first place in the league.  Hans was very sad not to have any cake for us after this match but unfortunately the inmate who used to bake the Murder Cakes at the prison was released last week so they were no longer available.

As soon as the Austrian match finished I jumped in a car with a German friend who gave me a ride to Nuremburg, where I slept on his couch for a couple hours before taking the first train of the day back to Fulda, which was about two and a half hours away.  Steve picked me up at the train station at eight and drove straight to the courts to get ready for my

After a miserable day of playing tennis in the pouring rain.

German match, which started at nine.  I don’t have much to say about this match except that I was tired from having not slept, dirty from having no clean clothes, and miserable because it was pouring and on clay you can play tennis in the rain.  I won though at least and actually played well given the circumstances.  I took a nasty fall towards the end of the doubles when the rain picked up and the court turned to mud.  I tried to change directions as I was cutting across the middle and my feet went out from under me leaving me flat on my back in a slimy puddle.  It brought back memories of playing soccer on rainy days, returning from a game covered in mud from head to toe.

I am home in Fulda now relaxing a bit, doing laundry and getting my life back in order.  I spent all day yesterday playing qualifying for a big money tournament just outside Frankfurt in a town called Bad Homburg.  I won three tough singles matches and earned a wildcard into the main draw, which starts on Thursday.  Steve picked me up at the train station last night at midnight, for the third time in two days.  My back and legs are sore, my fingers are torn up, and my palm is raw and cracked.   Things are pretty good here and I am enjoying the hectic lifestyle of a struggling tennis pro.

The club hosting the Hessin Championships. I won three matches to qualify for the main draw which starts Thursday.


3 responses to “Competing and Touring”

  1. Chris Edwardsen says :

    Great narratives, Charlie. Kelsey and Galvin had their wedding last Saturday, so we’re all recovering from that. Christine leaves for Frankfurt with her students on Saturday (6/16) and will be in Germany for a month. She’d really like to see you play if you’re anywhere near her. They’ll be in Frankfurt, Munich, Berlin, etc. at different times. Are you scheduled for more tournaments in Germany?
    Way to go.

    • charliecutler says :

      hi chris I am in germany for one more week. i don’t have any more tournaments in germany unfortunately. I move on to finish up my season in Austria and then to play some more tournaments in france. Thats cool christine will be here though. Germany is amazing. Congrats on Kelsey’s marriage. I’m happy for her and it sounds like she is doing really well. is robby back in portland? I’ll be back for august so we’ll have to get together at some point then. take care.


  2. Hans Paul says :

    Hi charlie. My name is Hans Paul and I am basically from India and I am really interested in playing professional club Tennis in european countries. During my Undergraduation I captained my University Lawn Tennis team. I am very passionate about Tennis. Could you please help me out.

    my email :
    Thank you.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: